Registration and Policies
You may register online at any time, or in person Monday-Friday from 8am-6pm in the Physical Education Office (room 336 of the Dodge Fitness Center). A current Dodge Fitness Center membership is required to purchase any fitness packages. To check your membership status, please contact the Membership Office, 212-854-2546. Payment must be made in full prior to attending class. Cash, card, or check written out to Columbia University are all acceptable forms of payment. Members may purchase a fitness package for another members by presenting the other member's valid membership I.D.
- Refunds for fitness classes are not allowed after the refund deadline: September 9th, 2019.
- There are no refunds on half price initiatives.
- After the refund deadline, only prorated refunds for documented medical reasons will be given. Medical refunds will not be issued after package expiration.
- Refunds are not granted due to cancellation of gym membership, graduation, relocation, or package expiration.
- There is a $10 fee for all refunds.
REQUEST A TRAINER: A trainer will contact you within 48 hours of receiving your request. Once in touch with the trainer, please discuss your needs, goals, and schedule. Trainers manage their own schedules, therefore all scheduling is between the client and the trainer.
BUY SESSIONS ONLINE: once you and your assigned trainer have confirmed a meeting time. You may also visit us between 9am and 5pm, M-F in the Physical Education Office (Dodge Fitness Center, room 336). Be sure to purchase the session before you meet with your trainer. Trainers are obligated to conduct a session before it has been purchased. Checks must be made out to Columbia University. Paying a trainer directly is PROHIBITED.
If you submit your request on a weekend or University holiday, please wait for the following business day for your request to be handled.
Partner and Group Training: EACH participant must submit their own separate registration form
- Please come dressed appropriately. Most classes require athletic shoes/attire. Fencing shoes or indoor-only shoes are required for Fencing. Shoes are not required for Barre, Pilates, yoga, and water-based classes.
- The instructor reserves the right to turn you away from class if you are not properly dressed to participate.
- If you have questions about the proper attire, please contact the Physical Education and Recreation Office at 212-854-3439.
- Members may only attend a class if they have purchased a class pack. You must check-in with the instructor before class.
- Participants must bring their CU or DFC ID card to class in order to gain entrance.
- For Group Fitness classes the Group Fitness Pass Sticker must be on your ID. Stickers must be picked up in the Physical Education Office prior to attendance.
- "Trying" a class for free or watching a class from inside the room is NOT permitted. If you'd like to try a class, you must first purchase the class, unless otherwise noted.
- You may not be admitted if the room has already reached capacity or if you are late.
- All classes have a 10 minute late policy, no one will be admitted ten minutes past the start time.
- Ensure your Dodge Physical Fitness Center membership status is current. Non-members are not eligible to participate in DFC training and may not solicit our trainers for non-DFC training.
- Children of DFC members must be included on the family membership to be eligible for training. Please visit the Membership page for more information.
- All sessions must be paid for in full prior to the start of training. Free trial sessions are not offered.
- BUY SESSIONS ONLINE anytime or visit room 336 between 9am and 5pm, M-F. We accept credit cards, exact cash, or checks payable to Columbia University.
- In-home or off-campus sessions are not offered.
Outside trainers are NOT PERMITTED to conduct formal fitness instruction at the DFC. Only individuals currently employed by the DFC Personal Training Program may conduct personal training at the DFC. Personal Training is defined by any of the following:
- Leading an individual through a designed workout or assessment.
- Providing formal one-on-one exercise instruction, assessments, and education.
- Prescribing a fitness program for another individual.
- Verbally or visually promoting a non-DFC personal training service.
- Providing paid or free formal exercise guidance (including payment of guest fee).
Anyone suspected of acting as a Personal Trainer by exhibiting any of the above behaviors will be questioned and informed of the DFC policies. Any individual acting as a Personal Trainer, as defined above, who is not employed by the DFC Personal Training Program will be asked to discontinue. If the individual fails to comply with this request, membership and guest privileges may be jeopardized. This policy serves to eliminate conflict of interest with in house fitness programming, and for safety and liability purposes.
Lateness and Cancellation Policies
- You must provide a 24-hour notice for any cancellations to avoid being charged for that session.
- Out of respect for one another's time and in order for us to provide you with the best service possible, we ask that you be prompt for your session.
- If you arrive more than 15 minutes late, your session will be forfeited and considered “cancelled”. Trainers are not required to wait for clients who are more than 15 minutes late. Please call your trainer if you anticipate being late. Some trainers may be willing or able to wait more than 15 minutes if they know you are on your way.
You must use your purchased sessions BEFORE the expiration date.
- Single Session – 14 days from date of purchase
- Five Sessions – 2 months from date of purchase
- Ten Sessions – 4 months from date of purchase
- Refunds are granted for medical reasons only. Physician's note is required.
- Classes are NOT PRO-RATED or sold individually, unless otherwise noted. We do not allow make-ups for missed classes.
- Scuba has a ZERO ABSENCE policy.
- Registration will continue throughout the semester, space permitting.
- Members may only attend a class if they have officially registered and paid for the entire session. Attendance may be taken at the start of each class.
- Refunds are not issued after the refund deadline. For late-start classes, you have one week from the start date to request a refund. There is a $10 refund fee.