Attendance, Grading, & Medical Waivers
Physical Education is a graduation requirement for Columbia College and SEAS students at Columbia University.
Grading in Physical Education
- All Physical Education courses are pass/fail.
- Students who fulfill attendance/participation will receive a pass (P) for Physical Education
- To see your course's allowed absence total, check out the P.E. Course Schedule.
- Attendance is recorded from the first day of classes.
- SEAS students who miss more than the permissible number of classes and who do not drop the course by the OFFICIAL DROP DEADLINE will be given an unofficial withdrawal (UW).
- CC students who miss more than the permissible number of classes and who do not drop the course by the OFFICIAL DROP DEADLINE will be given an Administrative Referral (AR), and a final grade of Withdrawl (W) if course requirements are not completed.
- Make up classes are rarely permitted, and must be approved by your instructor or the Director of Physical Education.
- If a student wishes to complete a makeup for a class missed due to medical reasons, they must communicate their desire no more than 1 week after the absence. Students must arrange for a make-up class with the instructor or the Director of Physical Education within two weeks of their absence or the absence will count toward their absence total.
- It is the policy of the University to respect its members' observances of their major religious holidays. However, the student is responsible for the participation time missed during those days. If a student is to be excused from a class for religious reasons, he/she must arrange for a make-up class with the instructor or Departmental representative PRIOR to the holiday.
- Please note that all planned absences (job/grad school interviews, scheduled appointments) will count toward your course absence limit.
- Students who anticipate attendance problems should contact their instructors and/or the Physical Education department.
Fall 2021 - First Day of Classes
All classes meet on the first day, in the course meeting location, at the scheduled class time. See your Courseworks page for more information, including any links. See a list of courses and locations here.
Physical Education Courses begin the week of:
This is with the exception of Tennis, Beginner Sailing, Int/Adv Soccer, and Int/Adv Golf, which will meet September 10. Hiking orientation dates are described in Courseworks.
- CC / SEAS students can all add themselves to the waitlist for any PHED class.
- Starting mid September, GS / BC students will be able to add themselves to the waitlists for fall courses.
- Registration off the waitlist is dependent on space becoming available (students dropping). To increase your chances of enrollment, you must both be on the waitlist and attend the first 1-2 classes.
Requirement Waiver Due to Medical Condition
- Students who request to have their physical education activities limited or waived because of a medical condition should contact Jeff Ryder ([email protected]), Director of Physical Education and Recreation.
- In some situations, students may require an evaluation by a clinician at Columbia Health in order to receive a waiver. In consultation with the Director, Physical Education and Recreation, students may be instructed to contact Dr. Melanie Bernitz ([email protected]), Associate Vice President and Medical Director, Columbia Health, who facilitates these evaluations.
- The waiver request deadline for spring 2021 is November 13th, 2020.