Attendance, Grading, & Medical Waivers
Physical Education is a graduation requirement for Columbia College and SEAS students at Columbia University.
Grading in Physical Education
- All Physical Education courses are pass/fail.
- Students who fulfill attendance/participation will receive a pass (P) for Physical Education
- To see your course's allowed absence total, check out the P.E. Course Schedule.
- SEAS students who miss more than the permissible number of classes and who do not drop the course by the OFFICIAL DROP DEADLINE will be given an unofficial withdrawal (UW).
- CC students who miss more than the permissible number of classes and who do not drop the course by the OFFICIAL DROP DEADLINE will be given an Administrative Referral (AR), and a final grade of Withdrawl (W) if course requirements are not completed.
- Make up classes are rarely permitted, and must be approved by your instructor or the Director of Physical Education.
- If a student wishes to complete a makeup for a class missed due to medical reasons, they must provide a doctor’s note detailing that they were unable to participate on that day. Students must arrange for a make-up class with the instructor or the Director of Physical Education within two weeks of their absence or the absence will count toward their absence total.
- It is the policy of the University to respect its members' observances of their major religious holidays. However, the student is responsible for the participation time missed during those days. If a student is to be excused from a class for religious reasons, he/she must arrange for a make-up class with the instructor or Departmental representative PRIOR to the holiday.
- Please note that all planned absences (job/grad school interviews, scheduled appointments) will count toward your course absence limit.
- Students who anticipate attendance problems should contact their instructors and/or the Physical Education department.
First Day of Classes
All classes meet on the first day, via Zoom, at the scheduled class time. See your courseworks page for more information, including the links.
Immersive Classes, Term A: September 8-11
Immersive Classes, Term B: October 26-29
Beginner / Intermediate Hiking: September 9-13
Full Term Classes: September 14-20
- GS / BC / CC / SEAS students can all add themselves to the waitlist for any PHED class.
- Only those who are enrolled in the class or on the waitlist will be able to attend class meetings via Zoom (or Google Meets).
- Classes will be open to all students from September 9-17, after which if space is not available, students will not be added.
- Despite being virtual, classes are capped in order to be able to engage with all students on one screen.
Requirement Waiver Due to Medical Condition
- Students who request to have their physical education activities limited or waived because of a medical condition should contact Jeff Ryder (firstname.lastname@example.org), Director of Physical Education and Recreation.
- In some situations, students may require an evaluation by a clinician at Columbia Health in order to receive a waiver. In consultation with the Director, Physical Education and Recreation, students may be instructed to contact Dr. Melanie Bernitz (email@example.com), Associate Vice President and Medical Director, Columbia Health, who facilitates these evaluations.
- The waiver request deadline is November 13th, 2020.