Attendance, Grading, & Medical Waivers
Physical Education is a graduation requirement for Columbia College and SEAS students at Columbia University.
Grading in Physical Education
- All Physical Education courses are pass/fail.
- Students who fulfill attendance/participation will receive a pass (P) for Physical Education
- See your course's allowed absence total here.
- SEAS students who miss more than the permissible number of classes and who do not drop the course by the OFFICIAL DROP DEADLINE will be given an unofficial withdrawal (UW).
- CC students who miss more than the permissible number of classes and who do not drop the course by the OFFICIAL DROP DEADLINE will be given an Administrative Referral (AR), and a final grade of Withdrawl (W) if course requirements are not completed.
- Make up classes are rarely permitted, and must be approved by your instructor or the Director of Physical Education.
- Occasionally, ALL physical education students will be notified by the Director of Physical Education via email, of optional make up opportunities.
- If a student wishes to complete a makeup for a class missed due to medical reasons, they must provide a doctor’s note detailing that they were unable to participate on that day. Students must arrange for a make-up class with the instructor or the Director of Physical Education within two weeks of their absence or the absence will count toward their absence total.
- It is the policy of the University to respect its members' observances of their major religious holidays. However, the student is responsible for the participation time missed during those days. If a student is to be excused from a class for religious reasons, he/she must arrange for a make-up class with the instructor or Departmental representative PRIOR to the holiday.
- Please note that all planned absences (job/grad school interviews, scheduled appointments etc.) will count toward your course absence limit.
- Students who anticipate attendance problems should contact their instructors and/or the Physical Education department.
- General make-up opportunities are offered through Columbia Recreation Wellness programming pop-up classes.
First Day of Classes
Friday Classes: Friday, September 6th
M/W Classes: Monday, September 9th
T/R Classes: Tuesday, September 10th
- Unless indicated otherwise by your instructor, all students who have registered for a PHED course should report to the lobby of Levien Gymnasium, on the second floor of the Dodge Fitness Center, at their assigned class time for orientation.
- *Students enrolled or on the wait list for a Hiking, Ski, or Sailing course will receive an e-mail with dates and instructions from their instructor*
- Following the orientation, students will be given attendance credit and will also have the option of acquiring a daily lock/towel service for a fee of $38 ($20 will be refunded at the end of the semester for students who pass the course).
- Wait listed students are encouraged to attend the first day of class. Students attending the first day of class will be given preference in being added to the course as spots are available.
Requirement Waiver Due to Medical Condition
- Students who request to have their physical education activities limited or waived because of a medical condition should contact Jeff Ryder (firstname.lastname@example.org), Director of Physical Education and Recreation.
- In some situations, students may require an evaluation by a clinician at Columbia Health in order to receive a waiver. In consultation with the Director, Physical Education and Recreation, students may be instructed to contact Dr. Melanie Bernitz (email@example.com), Associate Vice President and Medical Director, Columbia Health, who facilitates these evaluations.
- The waiver request deadline is November 15th, 2019.